The bride and groom may go to any county in Kentucky to get a marriage license as long as both are 18
    years of age or older. Marriage licenses may be used in any Kentucky county and cannot be used anywhere
    but in Kentucky.

    The county clerk issues marriage licenses, fee ($35.50) is non-refundable.
    Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days, including the date it is issued, and after that time it is invalid.
    Therefore, if the marriage is not solemnized within the 30-day period, the parties must apply for a new

    Please call if you have questions
    Hopkins County Clerk's Office  (270) 821-7361

    No waiting period or blood test is required prior to the issuance of the marriage license.

    The Application Process:
    1. An application for a marriage license may be made and signed by written request of both the man and   
      the women. Both the man and woman must apply for the marriage license in person in the clerk's office
      and both the man and the women must sign the application for the marriage license.
    2. In Hopkins County, you may make application in person at the County Clerk's Office located at 24
       Union  Street, Madisonville, KY.
    3. Identification is required. Acceptable forms of ID in accordance with the statue and KCCA's recorder's
       manual include: Drivers License, current picture ID, Social Security card, birth certificate, or passport. .
    4. Both parties must be 18 years old or older.
    5. There is a $35.50 fee for a marriage license.

    Prohibited and Restricted Marriages:
    1. Marriages between persons who are nearer of kin to each other by blood, than second cousins.
    2. Marriages between first cousins.
    3. Marriages with a person mentally incompetent.
    4. Marriages where there is a husband or wife living, from whom the person marrying has not been  
    5. Marriages not solemnized or contracted in the presence of an authorized person or society.
    6. Same sex marriages.
    7. Common law marriages.
    8. Proxy marriages.

    Marriage With a Person Under age 18:
    Marriages are prohibited and void when at the time of marriage the person is under 18 years of age, if the
    marriage is without the consent of:
    1. The father or the mother of the person under age 18; or
    2. Both the father and the mother, if both are living and the parents are divorced or legally separated, and a
       court order of joint custody to the parents of the person under eighteen has been issued and is in effect;  
    3. The legal guardian or custodial parent of the person under 18.

    Persons Getting Married who are Under age 18:
    1. Provide proper identification: Drivers License or Birth Certificate.
    2. Get the Consent to Marriage Form signed and witnessed by the parent or legal guardian.
       Marriages of Pregnant Women Under age 18:
       Either the male or female, under the age of eighteen, may apply to a district court judge for permission
       to marry.

    Solemnization of Marriage:
    1. Marriages shall be solemnized only by clergy, justices and judges of the Court of Justice; retired justices
       and judges of the Court of Justice, except those removed for cause or convicted of a felony; county  
       judge/executives; such justices of the peace and fiscal court commissioners as the Governor or the  
       county judge/executive authorizes, and certain religious societies.
    2. At least two persons in addition to the parties and the person solemnizing the marriage must be present   
       at every marriage.
    3. There are no residency requirements or licensing requirements applicable to ministers or priests who
       wish to perform marriages in Kentucky.
    4. A minister or priest, all justices and judges of the Court of Justice, justices of the peace and fiscal court  
       commissioners may perform marriages anywhere in Kentucky.

    To Obtain a Certified Copy of a Marriage License by Mail:

    1. Send written notice to the Hopkins County Clerk's Office,
       24 Union Street
       Madisonville, KY 42431.

    2. Include in the written notice the following information: brides maiden name, grooms name and date of   
       marriage (year).

    3. Include $5 fee. (Do not send cash in the mail.)  

    A  certified copy of a marriage license can also be obtained in person at the Hopkins County Clerk's   
    Office. The fee to obtain a certified copy of the marriage license in person is $5.

                     License Application click here ---